Derby Savoury Pudding. A savoury pudding which was - in more frugal times - used to bulk out the meat in a meal or eaten on its own with vegetables.
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon of very finely chopped sage
- 2 cups of organic plain flour
- 1 cup shredded suet *
- 4 organic onions
- 2 large organic eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- pepper and salt
1. Put the oatmeal and flour together in a basin.
2. Pour the milk over this and leave it to stand for about 15 minutes.
3. Beat the eggs into the mixture and add the flour, sage and pepper and salt.
4. Lastly add the onions and beat well.
5. Turn into a greased tin and bake at about 200 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions).
Serve as a main course or as an accompaniment to roast meat.
( * or vegetarian alternative )