Queen of Puddings
Queen of Puddings is a traditional British dessert, consisting of a baked, breadcrumb-thickened egg custard, spread with jam and topped with meringue.
- 4 eggs
- 600 ml full fat milk
- 1 piece lemon rind
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups soft white breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 300g raspberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 150 C.
2. Butter a deep baking dish, at least 1.5L capacity. Spread with jam.
3. Heat the milk with the lemon rind until just before boiling-point.
4. Beat one whole egg and three egg yolks with 1/3 cup of sugar. Add the vanilla.
5. Discard the lemon rind and whisk the warm milk into the egg-sugar mixture.
6. Stir in the breadcrumbs and let sit 5 minutes.
7. Pour the breadcrumb-custard mixture over the jam and bake for 45-60 mins. The custard
should be set but still a bit wobbly in the middle.
8. Beat the three eggwhites and gradually add the 2/3 cup of sugar until you achieve a thick,
9. Turn up the heat to 190 C, swirl meringue attractively on top of the custard layer and
bake for another 10 minutes.