Vanilla flavoured steamed pudding topped with rhubarb
- 500g rhubarb
- 100g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 100g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
- 2 large eggs
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 100g self-raising flour
- 50ml milk
- Cut the rhubarb into bite-size pieces and set aside a few of these. Combine the remainder with a sprinkling of caster sugar and the orange zest and juice in a pan and gently cook for 5-10 minutes until the rhubarb begins to soften. Set aside to cool.
- Butter a 1-litre pudding basin and place the reserved rhubarb pieces in the bottom of the basin, then drizzle over the golden syrup.
- In a bowl or mixer, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together until creamy and light. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in the lemon zest.
- Sift over half the flour and gently fold into the mixture. Add a little milk to loosen, then sift in the rest of the flour and fold into the mixture with the remaining milk.
- Put the mixture into the pudding basin, cover with a circle of baking paper and tie under the rim of the basin with kitchen string to secure. Before cutting the string, take it up over the top to create a loose handle, then tie securely. Trim off any excess baking paper. Place the basin in a large pot and pour hot water into the pot until it reaches two-thirds of the way up its sides. Cover and steam for 1½ hours. Allow the pudding to cool for about 5 minutes before turning out onto a serving dish.
Ninety Sweet Pudding Recipes. Savoury Puddings. Sweet Souces. PastryFully illustrated in colour. Indexed.
Ninety Sweet Pudding Recipes. Savoury Puddings. Sweet Sauces. PastryFully illustrated in colour. Indexed.