Steamed Apple Pudding
A robust steamed apple pudding
- 100g butter , at room temperature
- plain flour , to dust
- 6 tbsp golden syrup
- 4 apples , peeled, cored and cut into cubes
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 lemon , zested
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 125g self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp milk
- custard , to serve
1. Butter and lightly flour a 1.2-litre pudding basin.
2. Melt 4 tbsp of the golden syrup with 25g of the butter in a frying pan. Let everything bubble
together for a couple of minutes then add the apple and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Beat together the rest of the butter, the sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl with an electric
whisk until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, self-raising flour and milk, then stir in the
rest of the golden syrup.
4. Put the toffee apple mixture into the pudding basin and spoon the flour mixture over. Cover
with a double piece of foil or greaseproof paper, with a pleat across the centre.
5. Tie on firmly with a piece of string. Cook in a steamer over simmering water for 11/2-2 hours
(if you don't have a steamer, put an upturned plate into a deep saucepan with a tight-fitting
lid, half-fill with water and add the pudding basin). Top up the water if you need to. The
pudding is cooked when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Listed in the Sweet Sauce section of the website.
Ninety Sweet Pudding Recipes. Savoury Puddings. Sweet Souces. PastryFully illustrated in colour. Indexed.
Ninety Sweet Pudding Recipes. Savoury Puddings. Sweet Sauces. PastryFully illustrated in colour. Indexed.